The Benedictine rule "is the Latin origin of the name (regula, réoula).
A few steps of the Canal, this City is a crossroads in the region "Entre-deux Mers". La Réole, former priory Squirs of time Gallo-Roman, was be a very prosperous city during the past centuries.
Long time, second largest city after Bordeaux in Gironde, she has kept a rich and important heritage, including religious.
Today, it's commercial and administrative center unavoidable.
You can spend a pleasant stay, visit its winding streets, steeps distributed to the Garonne. The automotive and military museum retraces the history of vehicles from 1900 to 1950.
The Benedictine Priory's esplanade overlooking the imposing stature of the Garonne. It drops an overview of the most beautiful.
The "Radofolies" plays a non-competitive's descent of rafts on the Garonne, to Marmande at La Réole. This race boats are specially designed for the event..
The manufacture of the famous "diamonds Gironde" continues the traditional way in the lower Dropt's valley. This is a good example of maintaining a traditional activity integrated in a rural environment.
Yesterday, La Réole
City steeped in history, The réole is one of the Aquitaine's cities who suffered the most great suffering during the Anglo-French wars, wars of religion and ensuites abuses carried out during the revolution.
A charter of 977, official date of the founding of the city, proves that the priory existed at that time, as the monastery of Squirs.
In 1004, the theologian and priest, Abbo of Fleury-sur-Loire, in charge of restoring order in the priory as the accumulation of wealth has led to a rapid relaxation of discipline, was killed in a quarrel .
Buried and venerated as a martyr, St. Abbon is celebrated on November 13, the anniversary of his assassination.
In 1190, the King of England, Richard the Lion Heart, en route to the Holy Land, offers the building of the City Hall to the bourgeois for to reward them their loyalty to the king of England.
In 1224, King Louis VIII of France gave permission to build the fortress of Quat 'Sos to the southwest corner of the city, instead of a "regulator turris" rudimentary erected forty years earlier in the former garden of the priory, to defend the crown of France against the English incursions.
This castle was completed by Henry III of England, to defend the English Guyenne. It occupies a defensive strarégique and unique.
his battlements have been preserved and restored in the south's côte, that has kept this building, who as looks like a fortress in the Middle Ages. Tower southwest, called "the Thomasse" dominates the Garonne's plain thirty meters.
In 1324, the King of France besieged the castle for the experimenting with a new weapon, the "guns." This has resulted in a relatively rapid surrender of the English garrison of the Earl of Kent.
In 1462, King Louis XI confirmed the privileges granted by his predecessors, by letters patent, to Guyenne.
In 1577, during the wars of religion, the Huguenots took and sacked the city.
In 1629, Cardinal Richelieu made to dismantle the fortress.
In 1649 and 1653, the city was again sacked by the troops of the Fronde.
In 1654, because of the plague, and then from 1678 to 1690, following a decision of the king, the Parliament of Bordeaux was forced into exile in Réole.
In 1790, the monks finally leave the priory.
In 1793, the town took the name of Réole Saint-Aignan. During the Terror, La Réole espouses the cause of the Montagnards.
During the summer of 1793, the city La Réole protects the representatives of the Convention Tallien, Ysabeau and Baudot, which go to attacking and to invest Bordeaux with a detachment of "patriots" réolais.
In 1800, this town former, chief of the district becomes sub-prefecture of Gironde and remained until 1926.
In 2010, the District Court, which was in the Priory buildings, next to the town hall, is repealed with effect from 1 January in the context of the reform of the card judiciaire11.
Source of this article:
Memory of Joelle Thousand