Built in the XIIIth century by Alphonse de Poitiers this fortified town became famous with the passage of the Canal du Midi. It was then the most important pastel manufacturer in the region. Its past glory can be seen all over town. Take a stroll through the streets lined with beautiful mansions to the Pradelle square. Visit the covered market and the magnificent park, that is now a public garden, where various species of plants are growing among typical architecture.
Villefranche-de-Lauragais is well known for its gastronomy ; Taste its famous goose cassoulet, and enjoy the many other regional specialities.
- Market day : Friday morning
- To buy : regional specialities
- Exibitions : amateurs oil paintings in May
- Happening : organ concerts in June
- 15 of August festival
- Lauragais fair in September
- All kind of sports and culturals activities
- To visit : A XIIIth century church, restaured in the XIXth and XXth centurys; its bell-tower and two octogonals towers.
- The Canal du Midi banks.
Modern marina across town on the other side of the canal and the freeway A61.
Halte la plus proche : Gardouch (2.4 km)
Les écluses à proximité
Écluse du Sanglier (9.6 km)
Écluse de Négra (6.6 km)
Écluse de Laval (3.2 km)
Écluse de Gardouch (2.4 km)
Écluse de Renneville (2.1 km)
Ecluse d'Encassan (4.6 km)
Écluse d'Emborrel (6 km)
Écluse de l'Océan (9.5 km)